These little fried pockets of joy are one of our favorites! Stuff them with all your favorite fillings and make them your own! Try out this recipe with our Simply Pure Corn Oil for frying your delicious meat pillows!
Prep Time: 50 Minutes
Cook Time: 40 Minutes
Total Time: 1 Hour 30 Minutes
1 tablespoon Simply Pure Corn Oil
½ pound ground beef
½ medium yellow onion, finely chopped
¼ cup Tomato Sauce
6 Goya Spanish Olives Stuffed with Minced Pimientos, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons Sofrito
1 teaspoon Coriander
1 teaspoon Minced Garlic
½ teaspoon Dried Oregano
Ground Black Pepper, to taste
1 (14 ounce) package yellow or white empanada discs, thawed
1 quart Simply Pure Corn Oil, for frying
1.Heat Simply Pure Corn oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
2. Add ground beef; cook and stir until browned and crumbly, about 10 minutes.
3. Add onions and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
4. Stir in tomato sauce, olives, sofrito, sazón, garlic, oregano, and pepper. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until mixture thickens, about 15 minutes.
5. Roll empanada disks on a lightly floured surface until 1/2 inch larger in diameter.
6. Spoon about 1 tablespoon meat mixture into the middle of each disk. Moisten the disk edges with water, fold in half over filling to form a half-moon, and pinch to seal (or seal with a fork).
7. Heat 2 1/2 inches Simply Pure Corn oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Working in batches, fry empanadas until crisp and golden brown, flipping once, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain.